Saturday, July 16, 2011

How to Draw - Drawing With a Purpose - 2


Do you want to learn how to draw, but need a purpose for drawing? When I draw, I am one of those people who need to have a purpose. Drawing takes time. Although I find it very enjoyable, I still like to have some reason for spending the time. I need some sort of motivation.

Probably most people who draw, if the could make a little money right away, would have not problem getting motivated to draw more often. However, the purpose of this article is not to tell you how you can make money from your drawings. I am assuming that you are not even close to that point yet. You are the person who is still learning or looking for a way in which you can get motivated to start drawing again. You are the person who wants to get better at drawing before attempting to sell your first successful drawing.

Before you even start looking to monetize you must first develop your own style, technique and name. It takes quite awhile before people want you to draw something for them. So, here are some ways in which you can stay motivated.

The first way I get motivated is by selecting a photo that I like a lot, and really want to draw. Finding a good drawing photo may take some time, but it will be much more fun to draw. I have tried drawing some photos for people that were not great quality and have never been happy with the result.

What is a good drawing photo? Well, I happen to love photography and would eventually like to draw all of my own photos. Although I own an excellent camera, I am not always able to, or have the time to shoot the photos I want. A good drawing photo is one that you like immediately because the subject is in focus and the lighting is great.

Professional cameras are fun to play with because you can use a variety of lenses that allow you get that certain area in focus and everything else will be blurred. In a future article I will explain why you tend to like these types of photos better than others where everything is in focus. You draw what you see and not have to worry about making the drawing look better than the photo. That is why I enjoy drawing for photographers. I know that I am setting myself up for success rather than failure.

Maybe you do not think you are good enough yet, but at least work towards drawing something for someone else. This is the way I started drawing. Most of my drawing were for someone else. They were not anywhere near perfect then and still are not always the way I want them to look today. There is always something that just does not look right.

Share your work. See what people think. Tell people about what you do and share your passion. Accept criticism and learn from it. I use the criticism I receive on my drawings to improve my technique and style. Often others are better at pointing out errors or ways in which I can improve because they were not working with the drawing.

Alright, let's get started...

Activity 1 - Join a Group of Artists

If you have not already joined a group of drawing artists, I suggest you do so. You can learn from others and help and be helped.

Here are five places you may want to display your artwork

Drawspace.com

Artpapa.com

GFXartist.com

ratemydrawings.com

Activity 2 - Find a Photo for Drawing

Find a good photo. Hopefully you can find a good photo to draw that you yourself have taken. The internet may have many good drawing photos on it, but most of them will be copyright material. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THEM TO YOUR COMPUTER. Especially if you are going to display your drawings elsewhere on the web, make sure you have the written permission of the photographer. Make sure you make it clear to him or her what you are going to do with the image. Don't assume anything. If you are given permission, do not sell the drawing to anyone else.

Found a good photo? Joined at least one drawing group? Great! Now you are ready for the next article which is called How to Draw- Drawing Techniques (3). In this article we will explore different techniques that artists use. Try one of them out on the photo you have or will select.




Reuel Feenstra is a drawing artist who draws photos of people. He has his own website at 2bdrawing.com. He began drawing at a very young age and has recently started drawing for photographers around the world.

Visit his website



This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment